Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Recipe//Breakfast Muffins

 sunday muffins
I wanted to switch up my pre-workout snack (usually a piece of toast and honey) this week so I made these muffins and put them in the freezer. They are an easy treat to grab (only 15 seconds in the microwave) and give me just enough energy to take me through my morning workout.
They are really good too! Not too heavy or dense or dry like some healthy muffins can be. These are soft with a great texture and with a few semi-sweet chocolate chips it's the perfect amount of sweetness.

Breakfast Muffins
adapted from Abascal Way
makes about 16 muffins 


2 cups almond meal (ground almonds, also called almond flour)
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs
1 cup large ripe banana, mashed
1 cup cooked fresh squash, pumpkin or sweet potato--or canned or frozen (I used canned sweet potato)
¼ cup olive oil

(additions: I added dried cranberries, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and chopped red walnuts, but let your imagination go wild here)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin papers in muffin tins. 
Combine almond meal, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.

In a separate bowl whisk eggs until creamy.  

Process the banana, squash, and oil in a food processor or blender or beat them by hand.  Stir into the eggs, then stir into the dry ingredients.  Fill muffin tins to the top.  Bake for 20 -25 minutes.  

1 comment:

  1. these sound so delicious. i bet your house smelled SO good. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete