Monday, January 7, 2013

Greens salad // Recipe

 IMG_4752
I was in charge of bringing a salad to our family dinner on Sunday and as usual I was taking inventory of the produce I already had when I called my mom for some guidance. She suggested I try to make a variation on a salad that is at Costco. I was super happy with the results so here I am to share.

You'll need a food processor. I don't even know how to describe the blade tool I used, but you don't want to chop the vegetables, you want to slice them into strips. So you the circular top one with a curved slicer.

The amounts of each ingredient are up to you, I just eye balled as I went to fill a big white dish I had. There was enough leftover that I had it for lunch today and it held over very well. Especially cause it was barely dressed.

Greens salad // Recipe

brussel sprouts
purple cabbage
romaine lettuce
baby spinach
cauliflower
dried cranberries
pumpkin seeds

Chop the ends off the brussel sprouts and put through the food processor. Repeat with the cabbage. The romaine lettuce should be chopped into bite size pieces. Take a small handful of baby spinach and roll them together and cut into a few pieces. Cut the cauliflower into thin pieces.
I toasted the pumpkin seeds for a few minutes in my toaster oven.
Toss the salad then sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.

As for the dressing, I made a poppyseed dressing using sugar, oil, dried mustard, apple cider vinegar, and poppyseeds. It tasted good, but I'd prefer to cut down on the sugar and oil. Do you have a healthier poppyseed dressing that you use? Please share.

2 comments:

  1. that salad is gorgeous! i love all those ingredients..sounds so tasty.

    thanks for posting.. gonna make that asap

    ReplyDelete