Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Guest Post: Food I Love//Egan

During the month of February you'll see some guests on Nova Granola talking about a food they love.

Guest: Egan
(my sister! things you should know about her: industrial designer, salt lake city liver, volleyball player (I could name 10 more active things she does), has an amazing house and garden, and is my favorite person to cook/bake with besides my mom)
prunecookies
Lets talk about prunes baby, lets talk about you and me, lets talk about all the good things and the bad things. (if you don't know the musical reference forgive me...) Growing up my parents ate prunes quite often. "...to stay regular" they'd say. They never appealed to me until years later my mom came up with this tasty treat. Since then, I have learned more about prunes and the benefits of eating them. Most of us know of their ability relieve constipation but little known benefits include, provide antioxidant protection, prevent pre-mature aging, promote cardiovascular health, and reduce the risk of cancer and osteoporosis! (insert trendy blogger overly-excited-word that isn't really a word here:) These cookies don't need a pump up-- but there you have it. Like I said, my mom made this up years ago and although it had a brown sugar in her original recipe, I wanted to see if I could make these without refined sugar. They are not super sweet but you are rewarded with a chocolate chunk in almost every bite. I like to make these and then put them in bags to freeze. I eat one before I workout in the morning for the perfect amount of energy buzz. They are soft right out of the freezer too.
Girlfriend tip: Good to bring to book club but not to a superbowl party.


Preheat oven to 375
In a medium bowl combine the following:
1/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups oats
1 1/2 cups flour (i used whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

in large bowl combine to form a grainy paste:
1/2 cup succanat
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (or any oil)
1/2 cup honey

Add the flour mixture to above. Then add:
1 cup high quality chocolate chips
1 cup ground or finely chopped prunes
1/3 cup ground or finely dates
1 cup chopped almonds

>Thanks Egan! I love these cookies and love that you've made them even healthier. Pre-workout or Post-dinner. I like them all the time.

1 comment: