Monday, May 21, 2012

strawberry rhubarb pancakes

 strawberry rhubarb 
IMG_2086
 IMG_2088

As a renter I have not yet been able to have my own garden, but I am lucky enough to have two generous sisters that live close to me and garden. I came home with a bunch of rhubarb last Sunday that I had chopped and put in the freezer with thoughts of muffins in my head. But Sunday morning I woke up and I had one breakfast wish: Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes. I'd never had them before, nor heard of them, so I used a pancake recipe I liked and simply added the chopped rhubarb and diced up strawberries. Easy, tasty, and in season.

Recipe//Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used almond milk and 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar)
3/4 cup almond milk
mix and set aside

1 egg
1 tbsp oil
add to oat mixture

1/2 wheat germ
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
drizzle of 100% pure maple syrup
dash of cinnamon
mix and add to oat+egg mixture

Pour 1/3 cup amounts onto a greased and hot skillet.

3 comments:

  1. These look so yummy. I'm heading to Idaho this weekend and my MIL has a TON of rhubarb. I'm makin' these! Yes!

    ReplyDelete